Lansdale Borough as seen through the eyes of its residents was not always the town that it is today. In the early colonial days, this area that we now call Lansdale was covered with vast forests and its primary residents were Lenni Lenape Indians. It wasn’t until the 1850’s when the North Pennsylvania Railroad was established that Lansdale began to grow into a prosperous community.
Impact of the Railroad
Like any small village in the early days, the railroad brought much needed work into the area, therefore creating the need for housing, businesses and even hotels. In 1860, with the influx of people moving into the area, the federal government felt the need to make this once small village a post office village.
As the village continued to grow at a rapid pace, its founding fathers decided that this village should be incorporated. After petitioning the courts, this application was granted August 24, 1872. Getting its name from railroad engineer Philip Lansdale Fox, this small village comprised of 269 acres became Lansdale Borough.
Today, Lansdale Borough is home to approximately 18,773 residents, living in 2.96 square miles or 1,894.4 acres of land. The once muddy roadways are now paved, and there are a variety of houses, shops, businesses and industries to meet the needs of the residents.